By Dennis Abrams
The Digital Reader reports that there’s a new publishing program from Amazon “which is so new that it doesn’t yet have a launch day, URL, or even a name.”
Nate Hoffelder reports that at the end of last week, Amazon began sending out emails to KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) authors, letting them know about a new program that Amazon plans to launch soon.
Hoffelder wrote that, “According to the email, which was forwarded to me by author Angela Kulig and by Amazon’s pr dept, when the new program launches authors will be welcomed to submit their unpublished book to what I would describe as a crowd sourcing program.”
While all the details have yet to be released, according to the email, the program will work something like this:
1. Authors will be asked to submit their complete, never-before-published book and cover.
2. After a few days, we will post the first pages of each book on a new website for readers to preview and nominate their favorites.
3. Books with the most nominations will be reviewed by our team for potential publication.
The program has been confirmed by Amazon PR spokesperson Susan Stockman, who told Hoffelder that the program will not be KDP or Amazon Publishing, but something completely new.
These are the contract terms from the email, also confirmed by Stockman:
- Guaranteed advance & competitive royalties: You will receive a guaranteed $1,500 advance and 50% royalties on net eBook revenue.
- Focused formats: We acquire worldwide publication rights for eBook and audio formats in all languages. You retain all other rights, including print.
- 5-year renewable terms, $5,000 in royalties: If your book doesn’t earn $5,000 in royalties during your initial 5-year contract term, and any 5-year renewal term after that, you can choose to stop publishing with us.
- Easy reversions: After two years, your rights in any format or language that remains unpublished, or all rights for any book that earns less than $500 in total royalties in the preceding 12-month period, can be reverted upon request – no questions asked.
- Early downloads & reviews: One week prior to release date, everyone who nominated your book will receive a free, early copy to help build momentum and customer reviews.
- Featured Amazon marketing: Your book will be enrolled into the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, Kindle Unlimited as well as be eligible for targeted email campaigns and promotions.
Interested authors can email Amazon at firstname.lastname@example.org