2. About Us
The Frankfurt Book Fair New York Inc. is a company registered in the United States at the following address:
30 Irving Place, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10003
The Frankfurt Book Fair New York Inc. (FBFNY) is a service provider to our parent company, Frankfurter Buchmesse GmbH. The purpose of the company is to organize the Frankfurter Buchmesse; promote German literature and publishing in North America; promote the book and publishing industry by organizing book fairs and events both in the United States and abroad; organize congresses, conferences, seminars and similar events on a national and international level; and provide information on the book and publishing industry via the Publishing Perspectives project and our website, https://publishingperspectives.com (referred to as “website”).
3. Information We May Collect About You
We will collect any information that you provide to us when you:
- make an enquiry, provide feedback or make a complaint over the phone, by email or on our website;
- submit correspondence to us by post, email or via our website;
- order products or services from our website or from our office via phone or email;
- create an account to use the website;
- subscribe to our newsletter and mailing lists;
- fill in a form, conduct a search, post content on the website, respond to surveys, participate in promotions or use any other features of the website;
- submit comments on the website;
- contact other users on the website;
- register to and/or attend our events;
- submit a CV;
- submit an application to a job vacancy;
- attend an interview or assessment; and
- ‘follow’, ‘like’, post to or interact with our social media accounts, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Google+.
The information you provide to us will include (depending on the circumstances):
- Identity and contact data: title, names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers; job title/position; address and location;
- Financial Data: If you are using the website or corresponding with us via phone or email to purchase products or services, you will also provide payment details, which may include billing addresses, credit/debit card details and bank account details;
- Employment and background data: If you are submitting a job application, you may also provide additional information about your academic and work history, qualifications, skills, projects and research that you are involved in, references, proof of your eligibility to work in the United States, your social security number, your passport or other identity document details, your current level of remuneration (including benefits), and any other such similar information that you may provide to us;
- Survey data: from time to time we might ask if you would be willing to participate in our surveys; if you agree, we will also collect any information that you provide as part of that survey
Information we collect about you:
- Information contained in correspondence: We will collect any information contained in any correspondence between us. For example, if you contact us using a query button on our website or by email or telephone, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
- Information transmitted on the website: We will collect information that you upload or post to our website and/or any correspondence or interactions that you may have with other website users;
- Transactional data: We will collect information related to your transactions on the website or in personal correspondence with us, including the date and time, the amounts charged and other related transaction details;
- Website usage data: We will collect information about your interactions with the website including information such as login data, IP address, page views, searches, requests, orders, confirmations, and other actions on the website;
- Email newsletter data: We will collect information about your interaction with our email newsletters, including opens and clicks; and
- Technical data: We will also collect certain information about how you use our website and the device that you use to access our website. This information may be collected by third-party website analytics service providers on our behalf and/or may be collected using cookies or similar technologies. For more information on cookies please read the COOKIES section below.
Information we receive from third parties:
In certain circumstances, we will receive information about you from third parties. For example:
- Your company: your company may have a contract with us for use of our services and may provide us with information about you for the purposes of working with your company and you;
- Employers and recruitment agencies: if you are a job applicant we may contact your recruiter, current and former employers and/or referees, who may be based inside or outside the EU, to provide information about you and your application;
- Service providers: we may collect personal information from our website developer, IT support provider, payment services provider (PayPal), event management services provider (Eventbrite, Xing);
- Website analytics: We will collect information from our website analytics service providers, including Google Analytics and Chartbeat.
- Website security: we will collect information from our website security service providers, Wordfence and Akismet, about any misuse to the website, for instance, the introduction of viruses, Trojans, worms, logic bombs, website attacks or any other material or action that is malicious or harmful;
- Advertising: We will collect information from Google Adsense and Google DoubleClick for Publishers about web users’ interactions with ads on our website (including impressions, clicks, browser type, time and date. Via Google Adsense, we serve non-personalized ads for users located inside the EEA. We encourage website users to review the privacy policies of Google Adsense and DoubleClick for Publishers; and
- Social media plugins: we currently use social media plugin AddThis that provides social media analytics and sharing buttons for the following service providers who are based both inside and outside the EU: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn. By providing your social media account details you are authorizing that third-party provider to share with us certain information about you.
We might also receive information about you from third parties if you have indicated to such third party that you would like to hear from us.
4. How We Use Information About You and Recipients of Your Information
- We will use your information for the purposes below either on the basis of:
- Performance of your contract with us and the provision of our services to you;
- Your consent (where we request it);
- Where we need to comply with legal or regulatory obligation;
- Our legitimate interests or those of a third party
We use your information for the following purposes:
- To provide access to our website: to provide you with access to our website in a manner convenient and optimal and with personalized content relevant to you including sharing your information with our website hosts and developers (on the basis of our legitimate interest to ensure our website is presented in an effective and optimal manner);
- To process and facilitate transactions with us: we will use your information to process transactions and payments, and to collect and recover money owed to us (on the basis of performing our contract with you and on the basis of our legitimate interest to recover debts due);
- To conduct business with you or your employer: we use your information to contact you and manage and facilitate our business relationship with you and your employer (on the basis of our legitimate interests and/or of performing our contract with your employer);
- User and customer support: to provide customer service and support (on the basis of our contract with you or on the basis of our legitimate interests to provide you with customer service), deal with enquiries or complaints about the website and share your information with our website developer, IT support provider, payment services provider as necessary to provide customer support (on the basis of our legitimate interest in providing the correct products and services to our website users and to comply with our legal obligations);
- Surveys: to enable you to take part in surveys (on the basis of performing our contract with you and our legitimate interest in studying how our website and services are used, to develop them and grow our business);
- Recruitment: to process any job applications you submit to us, whether directly or via an agent or recruiter including sharing this with our third-party recruitment agency (on the basis of our legitimate interest to recruit new employees or contractors);
- Marketing: to keep in contact with you about our news, information, events, new website features, products or services that we believe may interest you, provided that we have the requisite permission to do so, and sharing your information with our marketing services provider (either on the basis of your consent where we have requested it, or our legitimate interests to provide you with marketing communications where we may lawfully do so);
- Advertising: to deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you (on the basis of our legitimate interests in studying how our website/services are used, to develop them, to grow our business and to inform our marketing strategy);
- Social media interactions: to interact with users on social media platforms including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Google+, for example, responding to comments and messages, posting, ‘retweeting’ and ‘liking’ posts (on the basis of our legitimate interest in promoting our brand and communicating with interested individuals);
- Analytics: to use data analytics to improve our website, products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences (on the basis of our legitimate interests in defining types of customers for our website and services, to keep our website updated and relevant, to develop our business and to inform our marketing and content strategy);
- Suggestions and recommendations: to share your information with selected third parties such as suppliers and partners, to enable them to contact you with information about things that may interest you (where we have your consent to do so);
- Research: to carry out aggregated and anonymized research about general engagement with our website (on the basis of our legitimate interest in providing the right kinds of products and services to our website users);
- Fraud and unlawful activity detection: to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity, including identity fraud (on the basis of our legitimate interests to operate a safe and lawful business or where we have a legal obligation to do so); and
- Compliance with policies, procedures and laws: to enable us to comply with our policies and procedures and enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our employees and share your information with our technical and legal advisors (on the basis of our legitimate interests to operate a safe and lawful business or where we have a legal obligation to do so).
When we collect, use or share your information on the basis of “legitimate interests”, we mean our legitimate business interests in conducting and managing our business and our relationship with you, including the legitimate interest we have in:
- Personalizing, enhancing, modifying or otherwise improving the services and/or communications that we provide to you;
- Detecting and preventing fraud and operating a safe and lawful business;
- Improving security and optimization of our network, sites and services.
Where we use your information for our legitimate interests, we make sure that we take into account any potential impact such use may have on you. Our legitimate interests don’t automatically override yours and we won’t use your information if we believe your interests should override ours unless we have other grounds to do so (such as your consent or a legal obligation).
5. Who We Might Share Your Information With
In connection with the purposes and on the lawful grounds described above and in addition to the recipients of your information as described above, we will share your personal information when relevant with third parties such as:
- Partners and collaborators: we may share your personal data with event co-organizers for the purposes of registering attendees, sending out event information, and event logistics.
- Our service providers: service providers we work with to deliver our business, who are acting as processors and provide us with:
- website hosting services;
- marketing and advertising services (including the Google AdWords service, Google DoubleClick for Publishers), analytics providers (including Google Analytics and Chartbeat) based in USA;
- email marketing software provider (Constant Contact), based in the USA;
- social media plugin services including AddThis, Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn insert any other social media plugins based in USA;
- payment services (PayPal) based in USA;
- banking services based in USA;
- legal, accountancy, auditing and insurance services and other professional advisers based in the USA; and
- recruitment service providers based in the USA.
- Corporate affiliates: our parent company, Frankfurter Buchmesse in Germany
- Marketing parties: any selected third party that you consent to our sharing your information with for marketing purposes;
- Prospective sellers and buyers of our business: any prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets, only in the event that we decide to sell or buy any business or assets; and
- Other third parties (including professional advisers): any other third parties (including legal or other advisors, regulatory authorities, courts, law enforcement agencies and government agencies) based in the USA and Germany where necessary to enable us to enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our employees or where such disclosure may be permitted or required by law.
If you do not wish for cookies to be installed on your device, you can change the settings on your browser or device to reject cookies. For more information about how to reject cookies using your internet browser settings please consult the “Help” section of your internet browser (or alternatively, visit http://www.aboutcookies.org). Please note that, if you do set your Internet browser to reject cookies, you may not be able to access all of the functions of the website.
The names of the cookies used on our website and the purposes for which these cookies are used are set out in the table below:
|Analytics and Performance Cookies||These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our website and how users use our website. The information gathered does not identify any individual visitor. The information is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It includes the number of visitors to our website, the websites that referred them to our website, the pages that they visited on our website, what time of day they visited our website, whether they have visited our website before, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate our website more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information and to monitor the level of activity on our website. We use Google Analytics and Chartbeat for this purpose. Google Analytics uses its own cookies. It is only used to improve how our Services works. You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies. You can find out more about how Google protects your data here: www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html. You can prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of our Services by downloading and installing the browser plugin available via this link: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en-GB|
|Essential Cookies||These cookies are essential to provide you with services available through our website and to enable you to use its features. For example, they allow you to log in to secure areas of our website and help the content of the pages you request load quickly. Without these cookies, the services that you have asked for cannot be provided, and we only use these cookies to provide you with those services.|
|Social Media Cookies||These cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button or “like” button on our websote or you link your account or engage with our content on or through a social networking website such as Facebook, Twitter or Google+. The social network will record that you have done this.|
|Targeted and advertising cookies||These cookies track your browsing habits to enable us to show advertising which is more likely to be of interest to you. These cookies use information about your browsing history to group you with other users who have similar interests. Based on that information, and with our permission, third-party advertisers can place cookies to enable them to show adverts which we think will be relevant to your interests while you are on third-party websites. These cookies also store your location, including your latitude, longitude, and GeoIP region ID, which helps us show you locale-specific news and allows our Services to operate more efficiently. For users inside the EEA, we only display non-personalized ads.|
7. How We Look After Your Information
We use appropriate technological and operational security measures to protect your information against any unauthorized access or unlawful use, such as:
- ensuring the physical security of our offices and other sites;
- ensuring the physical and digital security of our equipment and devices by using appropriate password protection and encryption;
- limiting access to your personal information to those in our company who need to use it in the course of their work.
We will retain your information for as long as is necessary to provide you with the services that you have requested from us or for as long as we reasonably require to retain the information for our lawful business purposes, such as for the purposes of exercising our legal rights or where we are permitted to do.
8. Sharing Data Directly with Third Parties
You might end up providing personal information directly to third parties as a consequence of your interactions with our website and other services offered by us. For example, you may attend an event hosted by us where you communicate personal information directly with other attendees. We are not responsible for how such third parties use personal data provided by you.
Please be responsible with personal information of others when using our website and the services available on it. We are not responsible for your misuse of personal information, or for the direct relationship between you and others when takes place outside of the website or our services.
9. Third-Party Links
The website may include links to third-party websites, content embedded from other websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links, viewing that embedded content, or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.