By Erin L. Cox
July 11th marks the 50th Anniversary of the publication of Harper Lee’s classic To Kill a Mockingbird. Publisher HarperCollins has pulled out all the stops and created a summer-long anniversary celebration, bringing together those that have loved the book in a variety of ways.
Want to show your love for To Kill a Mockingbird? HarperCollins offers a number of ways to get involved:
- Join bestselling writers like Brad Meltzer (Heroes for My Son), publishing icons like Nancy Pearl, and columnist/blogger/author/cool ladies like Lizzie Skurnick and visit the booth (#3341) to record a video message about what the book means to you, to be featured on their anniversary website
- Write a personalized message to Harper Lee in the signature book Harper has created for her and will present post-BEA
- Buy one of the 50th anniversary editions: Hardcover, Deluxe Modern Classic, Slipcased Edition, Trade Paperback edition with 50th Anniversary seal
- Attend one of the more than fifty events around the country this summer (for listings check out the website)
- Buy the June 8th publication of Mary McDonagh Murphy’s book Scout, Atticus, and Boo: A Celebration of Fifty Years of To Kill a Mockingbird, which features entries by such noteworthy literary figures as Wally Lamb, Anna Quindlen, Oprah, James McBride, and Adriana Trigiani, among others
HarperCollins has made all-hands-on-deck for this 50th anniversary celebration, involving all imprints and sales force to promote this beloved book. HarperPerennial Marketing Director Amy Baker said, “This has been a really remarkable, collaborative project to work on.”
Join the celebration! Visit the website at ToKillaMockingbird50year.com.