By Porter Anderson, Editor-in-Chief | @Porter_Anderson
Andrea Chambers: ‘The Tools and Insights Needed’Our readership will recall that in March, the Center for Publishing and Applied Liberal Arts at New York University’s School of Professional Studies provided Publishing Perspectives with an exclusive international announcement, indicating that it will inaugurate a new program in January 2024, the NYU Advanced Publishing Institute for book business professionals.
Today (September 1), we have news of speakers engaged for that January 8 to 12 program in New York City, a successor to the Yale Publishing Course that was set in New Haven from 2010 through 2019, itself a successor to the Stanford Publishing Course. This third-generation course has been “reimagined” by Tina C. Weiner—the founding director of the Yale Publishing Course and the former publishing director of Yale University Press.
In a prepared statement on the release of the speakers’ roster for January’s inaugural edition of the newly constituted Advanced Publishing Institute, Andrea Chambers—the associate dean of the Center for Publishing and Applied Liberal Arts in the School of Professional Studies—is quoted, saying, “The NYU Advanced Publishing Institute aims to provide book professionals with the tools and insights needed to navigate and excel in the rapidly changing publishing landscape.
“With our distinguished speakers and esteemed panelists, we’re confident that attendees will leave inspired and equipped to drive innovation in their respective industry roles.”
During its five days, the course in January—which is designed for mid- to senior-level book professionals—will comprise presentations, panels, and workshops with more than 25 speakers chosen for their specialized work and viewpoints.
NYU 2024 Advanced Publishing Institute Speakers
- Andrea Colvin, editorial director, Little, Brown Ink
- Carrie Bloxson, chief diversity, equity, and inclusion officer, Hachette Book Group
- James Daunt, CEO, Barnes & Noble, and managing director, Waterstones
- Scott Dickey, CEO, Podium Audio
- Ryan Doherty, vice-president and editorial director, Celadon Books
- Sanyu Dillon, president, Random House Publishing Group
- Kristin Fassler, senior vice-president and director of integrated marketing strategy, Penguin Random House / Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group
- Jonathan Friedman, director, free expression and education programs, PEN America
- Emi Ikkanda, executive editor, Penguin Random House / Tiny Reparations Books
- Sophie Kaplan, senior director of creative acquisitions and IP management, Universal Studio Group
- Stephen McConnell, adjunct instructor, NYU School of Professional Studies
- Madeline McIntosh, former CEO, of Penguin Random House USA
- Lauren O’Connor, head of IP and literary acquisitions, Amazon Studios
- Zibby Owens, podcaster and founding CEO, Zibby Media
- Karine Pansa, president, International Publishers Association, and co-owner, managing partner, and publishing director, Girassol Brasil Edições
- Monique Patterson, vice-president and editorial director, Macmillan / Bramble
- David Pogue, CBS Sunday Morning correspondent
- Dominique Raccah, CEO, Sourcebooks
- Lina Renzina, lead, of lifestyle and education media partnerships for North America, TikTok
- Yolanda Scott, vice-president and editorial director, Charlesbridge
- Kimberly Ayers Shariff, executive vice-president, strategy for diversity, equity, and inclusion, Penguin Random House
- Dan Stone, executive manager of writer analysis and design, Substack
- Joshua Stone, co-founding CEO, Book.io
- David Steinberger, chair and CEO, Open Road Integrated Media, and chair, National Book Awards
- Anna Tavis, clinical professor and academic director, human capital management programs, NYU School of Professional Studies
- Jacob Weisberg, co-founding CEO, Pushkin Industries
The program’s fees remain at the early-bird rate of US$4,500 through October 14. On October 15, they go up to full price, at $5,000. The fees include daily breakfasts, lunches, and refreshments. The program is to feature real-world case studies, strategic initiatives, and discussion in all-day sessions.