By Porter Anderson, Editor-in-Chief | @Porter_Anderson
Bin Tamim: ‘To Present Innovative Ideas and Perspectives’The Abu Dhabi Arabic Language Centre in the United Arab Emirates has named the members of its 2023 “scientific committee,” which under the leadership of Dr. Ali Bin Tamim will act as a body of guidance and leadership in the center’s coming year of work.
The new scientific committee will offer recommendations and suggestions on the strategic plans, programs, projects, and activities supervised, managed, or implemented by the Arabic Language Centre.
It’s charged with helping to develop the center’s vision and content policies; suggesting experts, specialists, and research centers which which to collaborate; providing subject matter recommendations related to the fields of publishing, libraries, technology, activities, and events; and identifying topics and themes for conferences, seminars, and workshops that help achieve the center’s objectives.
In a prepared statement, Bin Tamim is quoted, saying, “The Abu Dhabi Arabic Language Centre’s scientific committee is a fundamental pillar in the organization’s structure and helps drive its efforts to strengthen the presence of the Arabic language at local, regional, and international levels.
“The committee’s efforts over the past two years have facilitated key partnerships, projects, and initiatives that have had a notable impact on the local and regional cultural ecosystem.
“With members including some of the most renowned experts in their respective fields, we’re confident that the 2023 scientific committee will continue to present innovative ideas and perspectives and drive further success and achievements for the Arabic Language Centre.”
Researchers, Scholars, Writers, Educators
The scientific committee announced for this year features:
- Researcher and academic Bilal Orfali, who holds the Sheikh Zayed chair of Arabic and Islamic Studies and is head of the Arabic and Near-Eastern Languages Department at the American University of Beirut
- Khalil Al Sheikh, a researcher, scholar, literary critic, and translator
- Academic and literary critic Abdullah Al Ghathami, a professor of criticism and theory on the faculty of the Arts Department of the Arabic Language at King Saud University in Riyadh
- Ali Al Kaabi, vice-dean of the College of Education at the United Arab Emirates University
- Vitaly Naumkin, president of the Institute of Oriental Studies at the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Muhsin al Musawi, a professor of Arabic Literature and Comparative Studies at Columbia University in New York City
- Poet, author, and academic Muhammad Abu al Fadl Badran, vice-president of the University of South Valley in Egypt, the former secretary-general of the Council for Culture, and former president of the general authority for cultural palaces in Egypt
- Hanada Taha Thomure, an endowed-chair professor of Arabic language and assistant dean of research and development at the College of Education at Zayed University
- Wen-chin Ouyang, professor of Arabic and Comparative Literature at the University of London’s School of Oriental and Asian Studies
More from Publishing Perspectives on the Abu Dhabi Arabic Language Centre is here, and more on the United Arab Emirates’ market is here. More on translation is here, and more on Arabic in the publishing world is here.
Publishing Perspectives is the world media partner of the Sheikh Zayed Book Award, a project of the Abu Dhabi Arabic Language Centre.