By Porter Anderson, Editor-in-Chief | @Porter_Anderson
Translations into Arabic from English and FrenchAs the Abu Dhabi Arabic Language Centre‘s Sheikh Zayed Book Award continues rolling out its longlists, we have today (November 28), the Translation category longlist titles for the program’s 17th edition.
This follows the arrival on November 10 of longlisted titles in the categories of Literature, Children’s Literature, and Young Authors, and on November 18, we published the longlistees in Literary and Art Criticism and Contribution to the Development of Nations.
The award program’s reading panel has concluded of its longlist evaluation of 3,151 submissions from 60 nations—an increase of 55 percent in entries over last year’s submissions. Of those, entries, 22 were from Arab countries, with 38 from nations outside the region.
The Zayed award, you’ll recall, is among the richest in the world. The program carries a purse of 750,000 United Arab Emirates dirhams (US$204,209) in each of its eight book categories and is worth a total of 7 million dirhams (US$1.9 million). That includes a special Cultural Personality of the Year Category.
This year, the Zayed Award returned to its physical awards ceremony at Louvre Abu Dhabi during the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair after providing digital editions of the program during earlier stages of the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.
Sheikh Zayed Award 2022 Longlist: Translation
The longlist comprises 11 works translated from English and French into Arabic. They were submitted from six Arab countries: Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Syria.
These are the six longlisted translations from English to Arabic:
- Aasr al-Ilm: Matha Taallama al-Ulamaa’ fi al-Qarn al-Ishreen (The Age of Science: What Scientists Learned in the 20th Century) by Gerard Piel, translated by Hussein Sabit from Egypt, published by the National Centre for Translation in 2021
- As-Sariqa min al-Muslimeen (al-Sarasin): Kayfa Shakkalat al-Aamara al-Islamiya Oropa (Stealing from The Saracens: How Islamic Architecture Shaped Europe) by Diana Darke, translated by Amer Chaikhouni from Syria/United States, published by Arab Scientific Publishers in 2022
- Al-Liberaliya as-Siyasiya (Political Liberalism) by John Rawls, translated by Naoufel Haj Ltaief from Tunisia, and published by Jadawel Publishing, Translation and Distribution in 2022
- Dawr al-Aalam al-Aarabi fi Nahdat al-Gharb: Al-Athar al-Muhtamala fi al-Aalaqat al-Tathaquifiya al-Muaasira (The Role of the Arab-Islamic World in the Rise of the West: Implications for Contemporary Trans-Cultural Relations) by Nayef R. F. Al-Rodhan, translated by Monirah bint Abdullah AlMadhi from Saudi Arabia, and published by the King Abdulaziz Public Library in 2022
- Al-Ibara wa-al-Mi’na: Dirasat fi Nathariyat al-A’amal al-Lughawiya (Expression and Meaning: Studies in the Theory of Speech Acts) by John R. Searle, translated by Chokri Al Saadi from Tunisia, and published by the ministry of cultural affairs, the Tunisian Institute for Translation in 2021
- Mujaz at-Tareekh at-Tabiei lil-Hadara: Li-Matha at-Tawazun bayn at-Taawun wal-Munafasa Hatmi lil-Bashariya (A Brief Natural History of Civilization: Why a Balance Between Cooperation and Competition is Vital for Humanity) by Mark Bertness, translated by Sahar Tawfiq from Egypt, and published by Al Mahrousa Centre for Publishing, Press Services and Information in 2022
And here are the five longlisted translations from French to Arabic:
- Shaja’at al-Haqiqa: Hukm al-That wa-Hukm al-Akhareen (Le Courage De La Vérité) by Michel Foucault, translated by Zouaoui Beghoura from Algeria, and published by Mominoun Without Borders Publishing and Distribution in 2021
- Ath-Thaqafa bil-Jamea: Siyasat Thaqafiya Jadida (La Culture Au Pluriel) by Michel de Certeau, translated by Mohammed Chaouki Zine from Algeria, and published by Al Rawafed Culture and Ibn Nadim in 2022
- Kitab Sibawayhi: Turuq al-Riwaya wa-Taqalid an-Naql (Les Voies De La Transmission Du Kitab De Sibawayhi) by Geneviève Humbert, translated by Mourad Tadghout from Morocco, and published by the Institute of Arabic Manuscripts in 2021
- Al-Imbratoriya al-Khatabiya: Sinaat al-Khutaba wal-Hajaj (L’Empire Rhétorique: Rhétorique et Argumentationd) by Chaim Perelman, translated by Lhoussine Banouhachim from Morocco, and published by Dar Alkitab Aljadeed in 2022
- Sarraq al-Kalimat: Bahth fi al-Intihal wa-Eilm at-Tahleel al-Nafsani wal-Fikr (Voleurs De Mots: Essai Sur Le Plagiat, La Psychanalyse et La Pensée) by Michel Schneider, translated by Abdelaziz Chebil from Tunisia, and published by Dar Zayneb Publishing in 2022
This is Publishing Perspectives’ 200th awards-related report in the 213 publication days since our 2022 operations began on January 3.
More from Publishing Perspectives on the Sheikh Zayed Book Award is here, more on Arabic literature is here, and more on translation is here. More from us on publishing and book awards in the international industry is here.
Publishing Perspectives is the world media partner of the Sheikh Zayed Book Award.