By Porter Anderson, Editor-in-Chief | @Porter_Anderson
A Conference Last Held in 2016Announced for September 19 to 22 at the Goa Science Center in Miramar, the Publishing Next conference returns, this time with 35 speakers, some of whom represent very large publishing interests in India.
Among speakers announced to date:
- Ananth Padmanabhan, CEO, HarperCollins India
- Karthika VK, publisher with the Amazon-owned Westland
- Niti Kumar, senior vice-president for market development with Penguin Random House
- Manas Saikia, managing director of Speaking Tiger Publications
- Ravi Singh, publisher with Speaking Tiger Publications
- Amit Chavan, head of content and international business at Repro India Limited
- Arpita Das, founding publisher of Yoda Press
- Radhika Menon, publisher at Tulika Publications
- Prashasti Rastogi, director, German Book Office New Delhi
- Author Jerry Pinto
- Ritu Menon, publisher with Women Unlimited
The program has been on hiatus since 2016 for lack of funding until this month’s new edition.
Workshops and Panel Discussions
Included in the programming are panel discussions on book retail; self-publishing and its impact on traditional publishing in the South Asian markets; the trend toward collaborations among publishers; the commerce of translations; the importance of diversity in publishing and literature; and ways in which small publishing houses can sustain themselves.
In addition, there are workshop sessions planned on editing, production, and marketing, according to co-founder Leonard Fernandes.
As part of the program. winners of the 2019 Publishing Next Industry Awards will be named in 10 categories.
This is a conference first held in 2011 with an industry-facing stance. The conference’s organizers stress a commitment to voices from the publishing industries of India’s many languages, and bringing together both small and medium-sized publishers.
A schedule of events for the program can be found here. Included is a discussion of “The Viability of Publishing Translations” with Arshia Sattar, Kabani C, Karthika VK, and Sugata Ghosh, moderated by Manisha Choudhry with an eye to academic as well as trade texts.
A discussion on criticism and book reviews is to feature Rihan Nijab and Shireen Quadri.
Publishing Next is produced by the Goa-based CinnamonTeal Design and Publishing, a self-publishing services company founded in 2007.