By Porter Anderson, Editor-in-Chief | @Porter_Anderson
Social Media a Focus in Professional ProgramOn Friday (November 17), Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair opens and celebrates its fifth anniversary. Organizers report that this is the biggest edition of this fair so far, with more than 350 exhibitors from at least 35 regions.
Visitors, according to press materials this week, will notice particularly large numbers of publishers from the preschool sector, where consumer demand has increased thanks to the easing of China’s one-child policy. The resulting baby boom is supporting ramped-up output in picture books, interactive content, novelty offerings, and educational titles.
More than 60,000 new works have been announced for the 25,000-square-meter space. And more than a third of that, we’re told, is devoted to publishers outside China.
In a prepared statement, the fair’s manager Nicole Ci is quoted, saying, “Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair has witnessed the extraordinary growth of children’s books over the past five years and fast-changing social trends that have transformed the market.
“We will be celebrating our anniversary with a major exhibition of titles from the past five years, as well as looking forward to the next five years—and beyond.
Kindle at 10: Amazon Charts the Hits
And just as Shanghai’s children’s fair is putting together a retrospective of titles from its first five years, Amazon’s Kindle division is rolling out special charts that lists the most popular titles sold in America since the reading device and ecosystem were launched in 2007.
At Amazon Charts—which updates weekly with titles that are (a) being most read and (b) selling most strongly through Amazon.com—staffers have come up with two anniversary lists: the most-sold fiction and nonfiction Kindle books in the USA during the past decade.
Top 10 Most Sold Fiction Kindle Titles
- Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, Book 1) by E. L. James
- The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 1) by Suzanne Collins
- Catching Fire (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 2) by Suzanne Collins
- Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3) by Suzanne Collins
- Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, Book 2) by E. L. James
- Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, Book 3) by E. L. James
- Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn
- The Girl on the Train: A Novel by Paula Hawkins
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Top 10 Most Sold Nonfiction Kindle Titles
- Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Lauren Hillenbrand
- Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy’s Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah’s Book Club 2.0 1) by Cheryl Strayed
- The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts by Gary Chapman
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
- American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle with Scott McEwen and Jim DeFelice
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen Covey
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot