By Porter Anderson, Editor-in-Chief | @Porter_Anderson
Close to 500 Fellows Since 1985Thirty-five editors, scouts, and literary agents have been selected as Zev Birger Fellowship recipients for this year, a program sponsored by Germany’s Holtzbrinck Publishing Group.
Set to begin June 9, the program will focus on international publishing issues during the Jerusalem International Book Fair, a trade-and-public festival that runs this year June 11 to 15.
A four-day program for the fellows has been developed for alumni members of the fellowship, with sponsor Penguin Random House, as well, and more than 50 former fellows are expected to be part of that element of the programming. (Former fellows can contact email@example.com to register.)
Established in 1985, the program has seen close to 500 professionals from more than 20 countries become recipients of the editor and/or agent fellowships. The Zev Birger name was attached in 2011, following the death of the founder of the program, which originally was known as the JIBF Editor and Agent Fellowships.
This year, countries represented in the fellowship program comprise Austria, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Georgia, Germany, India, Israel, Italy, Mexico, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, The Netherlands, Turkey, UK, and the United States.
Jerusalem International Book Fair, itself, was first held in 1963 as a biennial event. This year, its dates will coincide with the annual Hebrew Book Week mounted by the Israeli Publishers Association.
Zev Birger Fellows, 2017
- Austria, Bettina Woergoetter, Paul Zsolnay and Deuticke Verlag
- Brazil, Lucas Telles, Editora Intrinseca
- Canada, Janie Hyun Yoon, House of Anansi Press
- Denmark, Marie Vinter, Rosinante & Co
- France, Katharina Loix van Hooff, Editions Gallimard
- France, Sarah Anne Rigaud, Edi8
- Georgia, Irma Liparteliani, KLIO Publishing House
- Germany, Elisa Binta Denise Diallo, S. Fischer Verlag, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Germany, Friederike Barakat, Carl Hanser Verlag
- Germany, Jennifer Royston, Verlag C.H.Beck, Munich, Germany
- Germany, Kristine Kress, Ullstein Buchverlage GmbH
- Germany, Nora Lotta Mercurio, Suhrkamp Verlag
- India, Manasi Subramaniam, Penguin Random House
- India, Thomas V C, Kerala, India
- Israel, Sarai Mira Shavit, Matar Publishing House
- Italy, Michele Fusilli, Garzanti S.r.l. (Gruppo editoriale Mauri Spagnol)
- Italy, Simona Genoveffa Casonato, Mondadori Libri S.p.A.
- Mexico, Wendolin Sabrina Perla, Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial
- Serbia, Nenad Marko Saponja, AGORA Publishing House
- Spain, anick lapointe, Ediciones Salamandra
- Sweden, Nina Eidem, Natur & Kultur
- Taiwan, Clare Chi, Grayhawk Agency
- Thailand, Suwapan Chaipatcha, Nanmeebooks Co., Ltd.
- The Netherlands, Stella Maria Rieck, Cossee Publishers
- Turkey, Amy Marie Spangler, AnatoliaLit Agency
- Turkey, Berrak Göçer, CAN Publishing
- Turkey, Nazlı Berivan Ak, April Publishing House
- UK, Bea Hemming, Jonathan Cape (Penguin Random House UK)
- UK, Gordon Scott Frank Wise, Association of Authors’ Agents / Curtis Brown Group Ltd
- UK, Laura Macaulay, Pushkin Press
- UK, Sarah Emma Savitt, Virago
- USA, Alexander Porcher Littlefield, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- USA, Anna Rebecca deVries, Macmillan
- USA, Erin Elizabeth Edmison, Edmison Harper Literary Scouting
- USA, Marleen Catharina Louise Seegers, 2 Seas Literary Agency Inc.
- USA, Melanie Tortoroli, Penguin Random House
- USA, Noah Hamilton Eaker, Random House (Penguin Random House LLC)