By Porter Anderson, Editor-in-Chief | @Porter_Anderson
‘Passion, Commitment, Creativity’While many countries have awards programs for various elements of the publishing industry, it’s rare to find a competition in which Bookstore of the Year sees three contenders—one in France, one in New Zealand, and one in South Africa.
Nor might you expect the standard literary agent award to pit a Turkish agent, a French agent, and a Spanish agent against each other for the honor.
But such is the nature of London Book Fair’s International Excellence Awards, which the fair produces in partnership with the UK’s Publishers Association. The winners are to be announced at the fair in an invitational event on March 14. Divided into 16 categories, different groups of judges address the nominees in each sector.
- France has arrived on the shortlist four times.
- China, the United States, South Africa, and Canada are each shortlisted three times.
- India has two awards. And a newcomer to the program: Lithuania is shortlisted for the first time, in the Educational Learning Resources category.
Three nations or regions have players shortlisted for the second year in a row: Poland (this year’s Market Focus at the fair), South Africa, and Africa.
In a prepared statement, London Book Fair director Jacks Thomas is quoted, saying, “I’m delighted that the 2017 International Excellence Awards shortlist is truly global, with all five continents represented.
“The strength and breadth of the entrants on this list is impressive, and is a testament to the passion, commitment and creativity of all those involved in publishing, selling and bringing books to a wider audience. What better place than the globally focussed, multicultural and creative hub of London to bring all these talented individuals and inspiring organisations together?
“I’m very much looking forward to welcoming the shortlisted nominees to London in March, to celebrate their success.”
And, speaking for the Publishers Association, Stephen Lotinga is quoted, saying, “These awards uniquely celebrate the global publishing industry here in London.
“We are especially delighted to see the introduction of the Inclusivity in Publishing award for publishers who are excelling in their efforts to improve inclusivity in the publishing supply chain. This award, together with the other UK awards which recognise young and upcoming talent in our industry and efforts from the industry to improve the supply chain for accessible publishing, showcases a real cross-section of excellence in publishing.”
London Book Fair International Excellence Awards 2017 Shortlist
The Academic and Professional Publisher Award, supported by Research Information
- CSIRO Publishing (Australia)
- Journal of Zhejiang University-Science (JZUS) (China)
- OECD Publishing (France)
The Educational Initiatives Award
- Book Aid International (Africa)
- Caramel Tree (Canada)
- Foreign Language Teaching and Research Publishing Co., Ltd (China)
The Educational Learning Resources Award, supported by China Publishing & Media Journal
- Eduexpert (Poland)
- EssayJack Inc. (Canada)
- Lithuanian Free Market Institute (Lithuania)
The Literary Translation Initiative Award
- Arabic Literature (in English) (USA)
- The Short Story Project (Israel)
- The Select Centre (Singapore)
- World Literature Today (USA)
The Literary Agent Award
- Anna Soler-Pont, Pontas Literary & Film Agency (Spain)
- Nermin Mollaoglu, Kalem Agency (Turkey)
- Pierre Astier, Astier-Pecher Literary Agency (France)
The Literary Festival Award, supported by The International Literary Showcase
- Bookaroo Trust – Festival of Children’s Literature (India)
- George Town Literary Festival (Malaysia)
- Open Book Festival (South Africa)
The Bookstore of the Year Award sponsored by Gardners Books Ltd
- Exclusive Books (South Africa)
- Shakespeare and Company (France)
- Time Out Bookstore (New Zealand)
The Rights Professional Award
- Hui Hou, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Publishing Co., Ltd (China)
- Heidi Warneke, Editions Grasset (France)
- Rose Janssens, Clavis Publishing (Belgium)
Eligible for entries from Market Focus Poland only:
The Market Focus Poland Adult Trade Publisher Award
- SIW ZNAK sp. z.o.o (Poland)
- Wydawnictwo Literackie (Poland)
- Wydawnictwo Czarne (Poland)
The Market Focus Poland Trade Children’s and Young Adult Publisher Award
- Wydawnictwo Dwie Siostry (Poland)
- Wydawnictwo Widnokrag (Poland)
- Wydawnictwo Otwarte Sp. z o.o. (Poland)
Eligible for entries from all countries, including the UK:
The Brand Licensing Award
- Kaiken Publishing (Angry Birds) (Finland)
- The Roald Dahl Literary Estate (UK)
- Walker Books (UK)
The Quantum Publishing Innovation Award, supported by Copyright Clearance Center and Ixxus
- Cambridge Core (UK)
- Cartoon Abstracts (UK)
- Lost my name (UK)
- NearSt (UK)
- Wattpad (Canada)
Accessible Books Consortium International Excellence Award: Publisher
- Picsterbooks (South Africa)
- SAGE Publishing (UK)
- VitalSource Technologies (USA)
Accessible Books Consortium International Excellence Award: Initiative
- JISC (UK)
- Tata Consultancy Services (India)
- Tiflonexos (Argentina)
Eligible for entries from the UK only:
Inclusivity in Publishing Award, supported by Equip
- Cassava Republic Press (UK)
- HarperCollins Publishers (UK)
- Team Angelica Publishing (UK)