Some takeaways include:
- The web is now the dominant medium for information exchange.
- Social networks have not taken off in STM publishing and smart phone adoption is limited except among doctors.
- Web access levels are high at 2.5 billion per year and at a cost of about $1 per article;
- The big deal license remains the majority model, with 71 percent of all access provided through big deals;
- Globalization continues, especially with regard to China and India;
- There is an increased emphasis on data and the Open Access transition will continue.
As Jill O’Neill notes in her analysis, the infographics cover three key findings: The emergence of data as a First Class Research Object; the emerging importance of Reputation Management; and the emergence scholarly article as a crucial element in a hub and spoke model for multimedia exploration, production and consumption. The single infographic, above, summarizes the three.