« What's the Buzz

Infographic: Who Spends the Most Time Reading in the World?

Hours Spent Reading Around the World

(Click image to see larger version)

Infographic courtesy of Russia Beyond the Headlines. The top shows the number of hours readers in various countries read per week, based on the World Culture Score Index. The bottom shows the results of a 2011 survey by Superjob.ru of 1,600 readers of the types of books they like to read.

This entry was posted in What's the Buzz and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted July 1, 2013 at 5:04 am | Permalink

this is wonderful in theory, but worth digging into in a bit more detail — timeuse surveys are notoriously complicated (can you say with accuracy how many hours you read of what last week?), so maybe would be worth for some of your researchers to examine these claims in more detail? Do they really stand up?

2. Katy Noyes
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I’ll be above the average at 12-14 hours a week, and more some weeks!
    Disappointed but not surprised to see the UK languishing near the bottom of the pile.

3. Kimberly S. Henderso
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I never cease to be amazed by the sheer number of individuals who no longer enjoy the companionship of a good book. However, I am forced to wonder how the data for this infographic was collected. I refuse to believe those deplorable figures for the USA. Although I am definitely above the reading curve with 25 hours per week. I am a voracious reader as are so many other around the world!

4. Mrs C M Ellis
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Since the advent of Harry Potter and the ereader (Kindle) reading has definitely increased in the UK. I myself have always been a voracious reader and since buying a Kindle am in heaven as I can download at the drop of a key and do not have to carry heavy paper backs everywhere. Hopefully this interest in reading will continue!

5. janet
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Where is Israel? Interesting that this was sponsore by Russia behind the headlines.Shame on you for giving it credibility.

6. Andrea
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Mexico 5:30 per week? Seriously, reading what?

7. Posted July 1, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

I agree with Kimberly above in that these figures just don’t add up. The two most populated countries of the world (India and China) are listed as highest so it makes me wonder that maybe there were alot more people surveyed there than other parts of the world? I’ve been to 16 of the countries above (including China) and I can safely argue that Venezuelans do not read more than Koreans or Americans. The other point is that the last published dollar value of sales per country (Unesco site has the last published one) do NOT match anywhere close to the above and that is much more reliable than the above.

8. gail miller
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I read about 30 hrs a week and really enjoy it.

9. Posted July 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Distressing to realise that the country I thought I lived in DOESN’T EVEN EXIST, at least according to that “info”graphic. According to that map, there is no NEW Zealand at all, so all the reading I do is, like my homeland itself, just a figment of my imagination.

10. Posted July 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Why doesn’t Sweden have a colour on the map when it is clearly in the list?

11. suri
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I’ll be above the average at 10-15 hours a week, and more some weeks!

12. Posted July 1, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Why is there no information on the white countries? Is it because they didn´t answer the survey? The fact that my country is not present leaves me worried.

13. elle
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 7:32 am | Permalink

If you look up the World Culture Score Index you see that these figures are actually from the 2004-5 period and based on responses from 30 countries which is why us kiwis are left out and why the figures don’t seem quite right considering the popularity of ebooks

14. Alex
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Mexico reading more than Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Brazil and UK? Really? I’m mexican and really doubt it, most mexicans just don’t read at all. Where does this data come from?

15. Yael Swerdlow
    Posted July 7, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Where is Israel? For shame omitting one of the most well read countries