Luc Audrain, head of digitalization support at Hachette Livre, profiled in today’s feature story, will be leading the workshop “HTML 5 and EPUB3: Digital Books Beyond Digitized Text” at the Frankfurt Book Fair on Thursday, October 11. 2:30 – 5:30 Hall 4.C, Room “Entente.” The program will be conducted in English. The price of € 250 includes lunch.
The workshop is divided into three parts:
1) Unlimited possibilities: HTML5, ePUB 3 and reading platforms
The seminar will begin with an overview of the functionality and capabilities of HTML 5, including canvas drawing, geolocation and integrating audio/video elements.
An overview and test of the latest reading systems, including Apple, iBooks, Kobo, Nook and cloud-based platforms, will round out the first part of the training session.
2) In flux: Workflows
The second part of the workshop will focus on publishing workflows and cover the following topics:
- New tools for scalable content with fixed layout for enhanced and interactive e-books
- Print-focused (Adobe InDesign) and CMS-focused (XML-first) models
- Recommendations for choosing selective enhancement vs. fully interactive content
- Demonstrations of the latest tools for authoring, converting and verifying content
- Best practices for process and organizational structures (team roles)
3) A look into the crystal ball: The future of e-books
The workshop will close with an outlook of the possibilities offered by HTML5 and ePUB 3 for the future of e-books.