« What's the Buzz

#Quakebook: Twitter-sourced Japan Charity Book 2:46 Self-pubbed in One Week

By Edward Nawotka

Quakebook

Last Friday the blogger “Our Man in Abiko” launched an effort to produce a crowd-sourced collection prose, photos and illustrations that would be compiled into a self-published book to benefit the victims of the Japan earthquake.

The book, which amounts to 30,000 words, is now finished is said to have met the deadline of being published at 2:46 p.m. today in Japan — two weeks after the quake.

You can follow the project at #quakebook and log on to www.quakebook.net, where the title should be on sale by the time you read this. All proceeds go to the Japanese Red Cross.

This entry was posted in What's the Buzz and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted March 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

I am one of the editors of this book, and I would like to thank you personally for writing about the book and our efforts to publish it. It really means a lot, and will help us get the word out and raise money for earthquake survivors. –Dan Ryan

2. Posted March 26, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

ola rodrigo fala o meu nome ai no meio do programa e manda beijos pra brasilia ai tcau.

3. Posted March 26, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks for writing about the book and the efforts to publish it. I contributed one article and wish I could have contributed more. Partly as a historical account of the earthquake, I think the book has tremendous value. I hope that Amazon.Japan will carry it and perhaps even promote it.

4. Posted March 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

I am the Japan’s Tohoku earthquake minor victim who lives in Sendai, Japan, hitted by extremely destructive tsunami wave. My family members (husband, two loverly boys) are OK. We live in the mountain side area. I would like to offer my deepest condolences to the seaside people and many other victims. I would like to show how minor earthquake victims do their best to survive this difficult situation. Check my English blog at http://earthquakevictimfromsendaijapan.blogspot.com/.

5. Michael Q Todd
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 2:07 am | Permalink

Japan is my home and what has happened and is still happpening are beyong belief.Quakebook is something that we can all rally around and promote.
    It is nice to be able to offer something of value rather than just beg for donations. Congrats to all involved. You have my full support.Michael

6. Posted March 28, 2011 at 3:18 am | Permalink

As a long time Japan resident, and with many relatives here, I want to thank everyone involved, everyone who contributed time and thought to this project.

7. Posted March 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Amazing work on everyones part. Social Media shows the power of uniting voices that otherwise wouldnt be heard and why it is so powerful a tool for communication, business and news.